The historical bit
The area around Springwell was originally known as Gulch's Wells. This part of the Grand Union canal was built in 1796 and caused some local controversy when some of the wells were covered over by the canal. There are several wells still in existence including one bang in the middle of our kitchen floor, which we discovered during renovation in 2001.
The original beams at Springwell Barn date back to the late eighteenth century and due to the presence of natural springs, Springwell Water was bottled up until the last century. We have recovered many old bottles from the garden, which are on display. The grounds were used as watercress beds up until 1984 and we have two natural springs still bubbling away.